Our ILC funded teen work placement program provides a staged approach to support teens with their introduction to the world of work through work experience. Our program is co-designed by our lived experience co-design team with team members from across the autistic community all with autistic lived experience and employment expertise. We created this program when our research revealed our autistic teens were missing out on the wonderful insight and essential skills work experience can provide them so they are work ready when they leave school. This is not a therapy-based program but one that highlights teen strengths, capabilities and ways to manage their challenges for the world of work and also for school.
Our program involves:
1. Job readiness workshops on key topics
2. Coaching with our lived experience coaches including a strengths assessment and discussion
3. A supported work placement where the employer is briefed and supported to host your teen
4. Your teen is part of a group of peer-teens throughout the program. Your teen also has the opportunity to join our codesign process to have their say in how our program develops and grows.
The Program's placements are during the July and September school holidays. Please note AV is committed to Child Safety and wellbeing in all we do.
1. Individuals with Aspergers/autism are all welcome (they can be professionally diagnosed, self-diagnosed or self-identifying).
2. Teens and young people aged from 14 and 9 months to 21 years as of Tuesday 1 August, 2023.
3. Enrolled in secondary education.
4. Current AV membership (non-members are welcome to add their name to the Expression of Interest form but will need to pay for a membership in order to participate in this program)
5. Individuals must be able to participate independently i.e. without assistance from a parent/carer/support worker
Expression of Interest for Round 2 are now open.
Please click on the following link if you would like to know more/apply for the Teen Work KnowHow Program:
For more information about the content of the program, including proposed dates for intake, sessions, and placement, please browse our 2023 Teens Work KnowHow Program Overview.
NB: some of the later dates for Round 2 have changed due to facilitator availability.
If you would like us to include you in future emails about this activity, we invite you to add your name to the AV mailing list. You can select all the topics relevant to you, and you can also update this at a later date if you need to.
Community Guide: How to join the AV mailing list
If you already receive emails from AV, you can update your Areas of Interest in your AV profile to include this program.
Community Guide: How to update the Areas of Interest in your AV profile
If you represent a school or potential host employer and you would like more information on how you can be involved in the Teens Work KnowHow Program, please email our Employment Programs Manager: email@example.com