Adults Hub: Online / Phone Peer Meeting Discussion - “Comorbidities, Meltdowns and Shutdowns"
Due to the changing conditions with COVID-19, we had to an online meeting via a web-based application called Zoom. We hope to be back to face-to-face at Ashwood for August meeting. See below for more about what Zoom is.
We had an excellent turnout for last month's meeting and encourage you to give it a try and join us. Discussion topic: Comorbidities, Meltdowns and Shutdowns.
It is not uncommon for someone diagnosed with Aspergers or Autism Level 1, to receive a second and concurrent diagnosis such as ADHD, OCD or Depression. This is called a comorbidity. In this meeting, we will discuss comorbid diagnoses: which ones have people received, how do they relate to the Aspergers or autism, and how are they managed effectively.
We will also look at some of the worst consequences of the sensory sensitivities discussed last month: the meltdown and shutdown. What causes them? Can they be foreseen and averted? How to manage them when they happen, and what can others do to help?
This group is for our older Adult peer group attendees. It is more suitable for those who are aged 35 years and over, although younger adults may still attend if they wish to. (Young adults may prefer to attend the other younger adult meetings: see our event list).
Cost: $5 AV Members, $10 Non-Members. Please book and pay online before attending, You will receive the link to join the meeting when your payment is done and you will receive a Event Confirmed email containing this link.
What is Zoom?
Zoom is a program that allows video, web and audio conferencing.You can download it free onto your computer or phone/tablet. Or you can simply just dial in and participate via telephone. Download the AV Zoom Guide (pdf)
STEP 1: Before the Meeting: Make sure you download Zoom
Download onto your computer:
Download onto your phone / tablet:
- Visit https://zoom.us/download, locate Zoom Client for Meetings and click Download.
- Follow the download and installation prompts (you do not need admin access).
1. Go to the App store of your device (e.g. App Store or Google Play).
2. Search for Zoom
3. Download it, as per other apps.
Participate via phone line only:
1. Dial in via one of these numbers: +61 3 7018 2005 Australia +61 8 7150 1149 Australia +61 2 8015 6011 Australia. Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ahxpuxnWU
2. Key in the Meeting ID (from your registration confirmed email).
STEP 2: At the Meeting time: Join the Zoom Meeting
1. Open up the Zoom application
1a. If using a computer - Go to "Settings", and do "Audio" -> "Sound and "Microphone" checks before you start.
2. Enter the Meeting ID you've been provided (in the confirmed registration email). The host will receive a 'door bell' that you are waiting and will admit you to the meeting.
Once you have entered the Zoom meeting room:
- Make sure that your microphone is muted
- Video - you can choose if its on or off (On = more internet used)
- When you want to talk - unmute microphone.
- Make sure 1 person talks at a time.
More instructions of how to use Zoom in the meeting will be provided at the start of the meeting.
Contact Details: Colin firstname.lastname@example.org or Emma at email@example.com emall preferred, or 0432 139 528