Adults Hub: Online / Phone Peer Meeting Discussion - "Sensory Sensitivities"
Due to the changing conditions with COVID-19, we had to an online meeting via a web-based application called Zoom. See below for more about what Zoom is.
We had an excellent turnout for last month's meeting on Grief and Empathy and encourage you to give it a try and join us this month. Discussion topic: Sensory Sensitivities. It is common for people on the spectrum to have heightened sensitivity to stimuli that others may barely notice. This can occur with any of our senses. For example, people report unusual sensitivity and even a degree of pain to such things as flickering neon lights, dogs barking or babies crying, scratchy labels on clothing, tastes and textures of food items, perfume scents, loud voices, and many other general or specific stimuli. In this meeting, we will discuss people’s sensitivities and share what strategies others may have had success with in managing these sensitivities.In the online discussion.we can also talk about how we're managing, ~5 weeks into lockdown, share ideas and concerns and ensure we find some calm in this difficult situation we find ourselves in.
This group is for our older Adult peer group attendees. It is more suitable for those who are aged 35 years and over, although younger adults may still attend if they wish to. (Young adults may prefer to attend the other younger adult meetings: see our event list).
Cost: $5 AV Members, $10 Non-Members. Please book and pay online before attending, You will receive the link to join the meeting when your payment is done and you will receive a Event Confirmed email containing this link.
What is Zoom?
Zoom is a program that allows video, web and audio conferencing.You can download it free onto your computer or phone/tablet. Or you can simply just dial in and participate via telephone. Download the AV Zoom Guide (pdf)
STEP 1: Before the Meeting: Make sure you download Zoom
Download onto your computer:
Download onto your phone / tablet:
- Visit https://zoom.us/download, locate Zoom Client for Meetings and click Download.
- Follow the download and installation prompts (you do not need admin access).
1. Go to the App store of your device (e.g. App Store or Google Play).
2. Search for Zoom
3. Download it, as per other apps.
Participate via phone line only:
1. Dial in via one of these numbers: +61 3 7018 2005 Australia +61 8 7150 1149 Australia +61 2 8015 6011 Australia. Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ahxpuxnWU
2. Key in the Meeting ID (from your registration confirmed email).
STEP 2: At the Meeting time: Join the Zoom Meeting
1. Open up the Zoom application
1a. If using a computer - Go to "Settings", and do "Audio" -> "Sound and "Microphone" checks before you start.
2. Enter the Meeting ID you've been provided (in the confirmed registration email). The host will receive a 'door bell' that you are waiting and will admit you to the meeting.
Once you have entered the Zoom meeting room:
- Make sure that your microphone is muted
- Video - you can choose if its on or off (On = more internet used)
- When you want to talk - unmute microphone.
- Make sure 1 person talks at a time.
More instructions of how to use Zoom in the meeting will be provided at the start of the meeting.
Contact Details: Colin email@example.com or Emma at firstname.lastname@example.org emall preferred, or 0432 139 528