Just Diagnosed…What Next?
I am a parent …
I need to learn more!
- Read as much as you can, such as Tony Attwood’s ‘Asperger Syndrome: A Guide for Parents & Professionals’, www.tonyattwood.com.au
- Search the internet (be discerning)!
I would like to meet other parents of AS kids
- Join a local support group
- Attend as many information events as you feel you need to
I am an adult …
I would like to meet up with others with Asperger Syndrome
- Try to join a support group for AS adults (Aspergers Victoria holds monthly meetings in Blackburn)
- Try to join an association which shares your special interest
I would like to see a counselor
- See our links to professionals
I would like to tell my friends/family/colleagues
- Here are some suggestions:
- Read about Sharing the Diagnosis Fact Sheet
- Write a letter
- Seek counsellor’s advice
- Someone could help you speak to others
- Someone could speak on your behalf
I am a partner …
I would like to meet up with other partners
- Come along to our monthly Partners Group meetings.
I would like to get counselling for myself and/or my partner
- See our links to professionals (these links should specify whether they see couples)
I want more information . . .
Amaze/Autism Victoria has a 24 page booklet on ASDs, designed as a starting point for families and individuals. You can download a copy from their website resources page here www.amaze.org.au/discover/about-autism-spectrum-disorders/resources